Friday, May 12, 2006

I've got to tell you the funniest thing that happened tonight. Britt and Zack were both at sleepovers so Barb, Tyler and I went out for dinner. We went to a place that we haven't been to for about 2 years. As soon as we looked at the menu we remembered why we hadn't been there, but it was too late to leave because we had already ordered our drinks. The food was "okay" but the service was BRUTAL! I could give you details but that's not what's funny. After we waited 20 minutes for Tyler's 3 mini cones to show up for desert, we finally got the bill. Our server came by about 10 minutes after she dropped it off and by that point I was balancing the bill and cash on the edge of the table to see if she might notice 2 20's on the floor... She finally came over and asked if I needed change from my $40 on our $32 order. Now to me, the only place you don't tip something is McDonalds, Tim Horton's or any other fast food place, so even though the service was awful, I was going to leave her something. It wasn't going to be $5 but all I had in change was the $3 that came back from the bill. I left it on the table and we got up to leave. Tyler was finishing his cone when we got up so he was about 10 seconds behind us. When we got to the car, he was very quick to tell me that he'd brought along the change that I'd "forgotten" on the table...

What do you do when you're in the parking lot and your son has just grabbed the "cheapo" tip that you left the server?? I've never seen a "Miss Manners" on the topic so I did what seemed pretty obvious to me... I put the car in drive and left!! I certainly WASN'T going to go back and give her the $3 that Tyler had pocketed!!

There's probably a lesson here, but I don't see it at the moment... any thoughts??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tim

That is hilarious!!! Looks like Tyler knows when a tip is not deserved.

Here is the TIPPING PAGE

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim!
I've been reading your blog but have never commented before.
However on this subject I just have to speak up!
I know exactly which restaurant you are talking about and we don't go there anymore either probably for the exact same reasons that you haven't been there in a long time. The service seems to get worse and worse all the time there. So just wanted to let you know that I think you did the right thing by driving off. I would of done the same :)
BTW.... since you brought up the whole "3 little mini cones" thing... the last time we where there (which was quite a long time ago now) Emily received her 3 mini cones in a completely rusted stand. Boy that was gross. I remember when they first opened, the mini cones where served in these cute looking, all white stands. But I guess just like their service has drastically gone downhill since they first opened, so have their serving things. Kind of makes me wonder how their equipment in the kitchen is doing?? The stuff we can't see?? Yuck, grosses me out just thinking about it.
Sorry for making this comment so long.
Rekha

D said...

ahhhhh! I remember mini-cones, but I don't remember where! I'm going to go nuts. I do remember that Matt and I gave each other 'the look' and the 'eye roll' as we were leaving the restaurant though.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Way to go Ty! Question though, did you let Ty keep the tip?