Friday, December 29, 2006

Some Thoughts For My Penny

I did a double take as I was digging through my change at Starbucks today. After a closer look, I confirmed that I had a 1929 US Penny in my pocket. I learned that it was called a "wheatback" because of the two sheaves of wheat on the one side of the coin. It's in excellent condition for it's age.

I couldn't help but think of all the things my penny has seen since it was minted. It went through the Stock Market crash of 1929, the Great Depression of the 1930's, World War II, the Korean War, the fun of the 50's, Woodstock, the social turbulence of the 1960's and 70's, Vietnam, Watergate, men walking on the moon, the invention of the internet, 78 Christmas Days, etc, etc...

Add to that all of the people whose hands touched it. I wonder how many times it had been used to pay off a debt, buy a treat, buy groceries, gasoline or ice cream or been dropped in an offering plate. If my penny could talk, what stories could it tell of love, laughter, life, death disappointment and delight?

I'm not sure what I'll do with my penny. I'm actually thinking of getting it framed just because I don't want to lose it.

What do you think I should do with it??

3 comments:

D said...

drop it in the offering plate?
kidding.

Louise said...

Wow! Such amazing thoughts (a penny for your thoughts) A very insightful way to look at things - I'm impressed! (seeing you sweating on the vicious handball field at Nanoose... never would've realized how inteligent you are)

If you feel like framing your penny - go ahead & frame it! I'm sentimental about those kinda things too :) I really did appreciate what you had to say - you bring a fresh new look at things! Think of me when you drink your Starbucks - it's my fave! Happy New Year :)

Tim Schindel said...

The handball field was a vicious and dangerous place where anything could happen, although not as vicious as a ball hockey game against Art Henkel and the Vikings...

Not sure if Danica would like it, but Matt would have REALLY liked it!