Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Quoting Jerry Falwell

“I want the members of Congress to understand ... that the solution to America’s serious moral and spiritual problem is not political. We’re in need of a religious awakening.” Jerry Falwell

In recognition of Jerry Falwell's passing today, I found this quote that I thought was very appropriate. I'd hardly be a "Falwell Fan" but I remember my aunt and uncle watching him on TV on Sunday afternoons when I would spend the summer with them. I have vague recollections of him starting a university and I remember him telling the story of climbing a hill outside of Lynchburg, Virginia and praying that God would give him favor to minister effectively within the city. I've done that in every place that I pastored because it just seemed to be the right thing to do.

In terms of the quote, with one slight modification, I'd agree with what Falwell had to say in this particular case. I don't agree that we need a religious awakening, I think we need a spiritual awakening that connects people to the presence and power of God in a meaningful and personal way so that the Prince of Peace can rule in their hearts and lives regardless of their social status, net worth or political affiliation. Political parties and ideologies have their place, but no single party has the entire answer to the social, economic and corporate challenges of leadership in this day. The answer is not within ourselves, but outside of us. It's bigger than us and better than anything we could create within ourselves. It seems to me that the Creator must have the answers to the issues faced by the creation and that's why we need to reconnect with Him in a meaningful way.

Tim

No comments: