Tuesday, October 02, 2007

An Everlasting Covenant

I'm reading (ever so slowly) through the life of David in my devotions. As I read through the closing chapters of 2 Samuel today, I saw something that really spoke to me. David was undoubtedly a man after God's heart, but he was prone to some fairly significant lapses in terms of godliness and judgement. He paid a tremendous personal price for those blunders as did the people he led. At the same time, David continued to seek the Lord from the depths of his soul, regardless of what he was experiencing.

The words of 2 Sam 23:5 leaped off the page this morning. "He has made with me an everlasting covenant, Ordered in all things and secure. For this is all my salvation and all my desire; Will He not make it increase?"

Our covenant with God is everlasting. It does not have a best before date on it and it is always redeemable if our hearts are turned towards Him. It is also ordered. The covenant is created by God. Every detail is cared for and addressed. Nothing that affects me will slip through the cracks of this amazing covenant. God sees to it that we are cared for and protected in every way. Suddenly, Ps. 46:2 "Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed and the mountains be carried into the sea..." is more meaningful than ever before. There is nothing to fear, because He has provided for it all.

Finally, the covenant is secure. Nothing can change, alter or affect what is established in the covenant. Heaven and earth may pass away and the mountains that I can see when I walk our dog may fall into the ocean they rise from, but NOTHING in the covenant can or will change.

On Christ the SOLID ROCK I stand....

No comments: