Thursday, December 24, 2009

That's It.... I'm calling Santa....

Barb and I went to Walmart last night.  It was everything you might expect it to be on Dec 23.  Apart from a few elbows and eye pokes, we escaped relatively unscathed...

As we were leaving, a little boy was having a bit of a melt down outside the front door.  His mom was exasparated.  His mom,  trying to gain control of the situation, pulled out her cell phone and said 'That's it... I'm calling Santa...' As you can imagine, the added stress for the little guy, put him over the brink and he completely lost it.  What had been a mild disturbance became a full blown scene that caused heads to turn...

The little guy began to scream 'NO!!!!' at the top of his lungs. Mom's only response was... 'Okay, Okay ... I'm putting away the phone, I'm putting away the phone....' 

Sometimes things don't turn out the way you plannned, but they give people great blogging ideas.  This is one of those times....  I've been thinking about Santa ever since then and have come to the conclusion that he's really a rather fickle fellow.  Think about it.  Santa is entirely performance based.  If you're good, you're on his list.  If you're not good, you get dropped like a hot potato.  Sometimes he just doesn't show up, other times, he adds insult to injury and gives you a lump of coal in your stocking.  Sound kind of mean if you stop and think about it.

I think that the worst thing about Santa is that he's a poser.  He's worked very hard to position himself as the central character of Christmas, but everything he represents is contrary to what Christmas is really all about.
Without getting preachy, here's something for you to think about...

1.  Santa appears once a year.  Jesus is with us every day.
2.  Santa only shows up when you meet his criteria.  Jesus does not treat us as we deserve.
3.  Santa comes into your chimney.  Jesus changes your life.
4.  Santa says 'Ho, Ho, Ho' Merry Christmas.  Jesus says 'I am the way. The truth and the Life'
4.  Threatening to call Santa on a cell phone freaks kids out.  Telling your kids that you are going to talk to Jesus calms the down.  AND.... .  You can talk to Jesus for free!

Have a great Christmas everyone!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell the truth Tim. You were the little boy and Barb was threatening to call Santa. ;)

Tim Schindel said...

LOL!! It was just one of THOSE moments where parents and kids are both at the end of their rope and we choose the worst possible option to settle things down....

In this case, how can I calm my overtired and stressed out kid 2 days before Christmas? Oh I know, I'll tell him I'm calling Santa to tell him how bad he's being....

Yep... that will help!

Anonymous said...

Good one Tim.
When I was a little kid, it always freaked me out that 'he sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake'.

Tra La La Boom De Ay said...

ah thanks for the laughs. Hit you surfing blogs off of my site recommendations. Glad to have found you!